Sunday, September 17, 2006

For God's Sake Don't Quote Me....

Ok, now I never ever thought in a million years I thought I'd find myself coming to the defence of the Pope. I'll save my thoughts on the Catholic church's 'contribution' to civilization for another time.
But when a public figure, makes a speech, fully aware that it is being recorded by tv cameras, and quite clearly starts a sentence with the phrase "And I Quote...", I think it's a bit much for a whole bunch other religous fanatics to then start taking the quoted words as his own.

I think it's a bit much, but sadly I'm entirely un-suprised.

If there's one thing about (all) religion and the misguided individuals who allow it into their lives, it's the fact that it does tend to make people hear what they want to hear and disregard the rest.

So some Muslims took what the Pope said to indicate that he felt Islam was a violent faith, (which wasn't actually what he said at all) and reacted to this by burning effigies and waving their arms about....violently.

Just Imagine, a world without religion...... didn't some bloke from Liverpool say something about that once?

3 Comments:

Blogger Chez said...

Under normal circumstances it would all be so laughably silly: my ridiculous little superstitious fairy-tale can beat up your ridiculous little superstitious fairy-tale.

Unfortunately, one side of this argument perpetuates the AIDS epidemic in third world countries by demonizing contraceptives, while the other sends its little minions out blow themselves up in crowded areas.

All religion is absurd and dangerous -- but I don't care what anyone says or how politically incorrect this may be (I call it like I see it), Islam is not a religion of peace.

Read the Koran; nearly every page features a description of violent conquer.

Catholic priests molest little boys. Baptist nutcases kill abortion doctors -- but for sheer level of sickness and lack of any conformity to the rules of civilzed culture, Muslims who still draw swords and behead people pretty much win the award for the religion which most deserves to be eyed with suspicion.

4:22 pm  
Blogger Stevie said...

Stop beating around the bush, say what you really think... ;-)

10:16 pm  
Blogger lee said...

This whole thing is a big wank. People can't say a thing anymore for fear of offending Muslim people. Our Prime Minister just copped curry for daring to say that they should learn english before they come out here and try and integrate with others - not separate themselves. Even the Muslim advisor agreed with this, but still everyone got riled up about it. What a joke. Blind Freddy can see that the Prime minister was right in what he said.

8:13 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home