Sunday, May 07, 2006

You're History

The more I think about it, the more everything in my life revolves around history. My love of history, my interest in family history, my place in history. We all wander through life, some of us pausing to think about where we are, or where we're going, but all too often, we don't spend enough time looking at where we've been. We all come from somewhere, obviously... Every one of us that walks around is the end result of someone's story, (one's parents) and the generations that came before one's parents.

I spend a lot of time concerned about this little life, am I doing a good job? What do others think of me? Money, love, fear, hopes etc... but it's scary just how insignificant one is when one looks at the bigger picture.

Sidney Williams, Lilly Young, William Crossfield, Nellie Turner, William Hawes, Elizabeth Standing, William Butler, Mabel Malkin. Eight human beings. Eight lives. Eight stories. Eight histories. All of them are dead, I only ever met one of them, and my memories are vague at best, but without my eight great-grand parents, I simply wouldn't exist.

When you do things in your life, make sure you leave a record of some kind, tell someone, take a picture, write it down, keep a journal. Your own little set backs and achievements may be fairly insignificant in the big picture, but when someone looks back on your life, perhaps long after you're gone, the marks you leave behind will bring you back to life in someone else's mind. You are insignificant, but that doesn't stop you being wonderful, awesome and amazing, you will be history one day, so you might as well make it interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home