Monday, May 08, 2006

T.B.F.T.G.O.G...

I'm about to go bankrupt. This somewhat shocking revelation will come as no great news to many of the people who know me. My attitude to other people's money, particularly that of credit card companies, has never been exactly 'careful'.

Now to many people, perhaps more so those of an older generation, being declared a bankrupt is considered quite a big deal. Indeed, I have to say, I'm finding the whole process quite traumatic. It's upsetting, I have feelings of failure, and yes, it does still carry a level of stigma that I found quite surprising.

However, all this came into perspective today (as these things always do if you hang around long enough). I received two pieces of news, the first was an email update about the current condition of a very good friend of mine who suffered a major stroke over the Christmas period. He has been, in the years I've known him, one of the many wildly out-going hugely talented immensely fun, ever so very cool people I've been fortunate enough to spend much of the last few years with. He lived life to the full, didn't take as much care of himself as he should (though no more or less than most of us) and was hit by this major illness before the age of thirty. He's making good progress, I cant even begin to conceive of how difficult his life must be, but he is alive, and all things considered, looks to be ever so gradually returning to normality.

The second piece of news was about the death of a man whom I had never met. He was the partner of one of my partner's work colleagues. They had only recently, in the last eighteen months, had a child. This child will never know his dad, the child's mother has lost the person that she loves. Again situations that carry a level of trauma I simply cannot comprehend.

Today, my financial situation is still my most prominent thought, I, like everyone else cannot help but focus on my own little bit of the world. Nevertheless, just as everyone should now and again, I have spent some part of today thinking....
"There But For The Grace Of God...."
To everyone concerned, my very best wishes and thoughts are with you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home