Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Walton on Thames to Melbourne...Continued..

Every new day that dawns (the one's when I'm not thinking about the fact I'm not smoking anymore at least), a few moments creep into my consciousness when I can't help getting very upset and emotional about the people I'm going to be leaving behind.

In spite of the 'small' world we now live in, the wonders(?) of the Internet, Facebook, email, skype etc, I know the way it really works, even if most people don't want to admit it.... There are some people I love dearly that I may never see face to face for a very very long time, sometimes ever again.

It's a really harsh reality that one has to face up to with a journey like this coming up. We all hear the old lines about friends that one doesn't see for years and then when you do, it just carries on where you left off, but let's be honest, life is not really like that in most cases, and why would you want it to be?

One of the things I cherish about the people I see almost every day, the people I love, the important people, is watching them grow, feeling our relationship grow, our understanding of one another deepen over time, our respect and acceptance of one another as individuals become more solid. You just don't get that with a relationship in which you never spend time together for long periods. It's sad, but it's reality.

I will miss my dear friends more deeply than I can conceive of at this moment. This is only made bearable by the fact that my dearest friend in the world will be with me every step of the way, living the big adventure with me, making it worth the sacrifices we both have to make.

There are times when this amazing thing we are about to do is not as simple as one might imagine.

3 Comments:

Blogger Adam said...

Very nicely put!

8:25 pm  
Blogger Simon said...

Me and Shaun pretty much managed to pick up where we left off, but he was only away for three years.

2:06 pm  
Blogger John said...

Hmm, yeah for example if I moved back to London... you wouldn't bloody be there! Slight difference.
Seriously though, things do change. It's not a bad thing.

6:34 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home