Sunday, November 30, 2008

The Urge Returns...

After yet another marathon absence from my horrendously neglected blog, I thought I’d put some of my less than important recent thoughts out for public consumption again, and, just to indicate how fickle I can be in these things, I’ll kick off with a pretty much directly opposing opinion to one I expressed some time back…

Thank You Boris II…

Back in October 2006 I had a little pop at the then Tory education spokesman Boris “pies through the railings” Johnson. Well clearly my condemnation at the time was just what he needed to get voted in as Mayor of London (though being up against Red Ken probably helped a bit too).

At the time of his election I have to admit to getting that shiver down my spine that any sane person gets when a Tory manages to get his or her mucky paws on a position of authority. But, I have to admit, he’s grown on me. Though of admittedly little importance as part of the job in hand, the first thing that began to endear me to Boris was realising that his habit of looking like he always dressed in the dark, was not an affectation to curry favour with any scarecrows that may have voting rights in London. He really doesn’t give a toss how he looks. A rare thing indeed, in spite of the number of people who constantly claim not to care what other people think of the way they look.

His outspoken attitude (obviously a trait I personally empathize with) gradually saw him creep up in my estimations. Then recently, we hear he is actually going to get rid of London’s congestion charge extension. Another one in the back of the net for Boris.

However he’s managed to really get me on-side recently with the Mayoral equivalent of scoring a hat-trick against Germany in a world cup final. He’s kicked that obnoxious public enemy, Ian Blair, out of his job with the Metropolitan Police.

Boris, if you do nothing else in your term, you have done every Londoner a great service by giving him a nudge out of the door. If only you could find some way to stop him taking his outrageous severance package. You could buy yourself an extra couple of venues for the Olympics.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home